Our Mission Statement – Love, Saint Barnabas Style 🖤
Saint Barnabas Pasadena is the oldest historically black Episcopal church family in the San Gabriel Valley (2023 is our centennial year, Saint Barnabas 100 – Still We Rise), which celebrates being multi-generational and our diversity as a community of love, serving Jesus Christ through radical acceptance, beautiful worship, generous spirit, and biblically based study while making a difference in the world through serving as a community hub with spokes in the greater community of Northwest Pasadena and West Altadena. ALL are welcome! Please come join us!
LOVE, SAINT BARNABAS STYLE – ETERNAL AND UNCONDITIONAL LOVE THAT TRANSCENDS RACE WITHOUT DENYING IT
WE PRAY UNIVERSALLY – WE THINK GLOBALLY – WE ACT LOCALLY
“INCLUDE EVER, EXCLUDE NEVER – ALL ARE WELCOME” – Natalie
“WE UNDERSTAND THE ASSIGNMENT” – Whitney
Our Vision Statement – The Beloved Community
As the Episcopal branch of the Jesus Movement, we dream and work to foster Beloved Communities where all people may experience dignity and abundant life and see themselves and others as beloved children of God. …to understand and take up the long-term commitments necessary to form loving, liberating and life-giving relationships with each other. Together, we are growing as reconcilers, justice-makers, and healers in the name of Christ.
“The end is reconciliation; the end is redemption; the end is the creation of the Beloved Community. It is this type of spirit and this type of love that can transform opponents into friends. … It is this love which will bring about miracles in the hearts of men.” – The Rev. Dr. Martin L. King, Jr.
Love One Another – Service is the price we pay for the space we occupy
- As a church family, we have supported local outreach to the homeless by joining our efforts with Union Station for over 20 years and running, including sponsoring and serving dinner for the shelter residences monthly.
- Our Men’s Group has hosted Prayer Breakfast on Saturdays where we feed the homeless. During the week, Jackie Robinson Center next door offers meals, but they are closed on the weekend. We hope to restart this service soon.
- We also support local outreach through our next-door neighbor, the Jackie Robinson Community Center, including family gift cards during the Christmas season.
- Annually, our Men’s Group awards the Conerly Scholarship to promote advanced education for college bound Pasadena Unified School District graduates.
- Our chapter of the Episcopal Church Women’s group hosts annual garage and bake sales, themed masses, and fundraising events to support Episcopal Relief and Development.
- We passionately support the children of our community. One example is we are a sponsor and a member of the Board of Directors for the Northwest Pasadena Little League.
- We also support our neighborhood with our very popular Saint Barnabas Free Food Pantry. Please donate non-perishables whenever you can, and especially when you join us to worship at Sunday services.
- We are a “hands-on” church family. We ALL love on each other and our church however we can. For example, our weekly workday is Saturday 10-12. Grab your work gloves and join us!.
- We Love eternally and unconditionally in Christ, while working HARD and having BIG fun!
For 100 years, committed to Northwest Pasadena/West Altadena to manifest God’s greatness by being a blessing to our community
Feed My Sheep
- Sunday Eucharist Service is held at 9:00 AM. We stream our service online on Facebook Live Saint Barnabas Episcopal Church | Facebook (no login necessary), based on the Daily Office Morning Rite II for the day in the BCP.
- We invite Fuller Seminarians to offer sermons through the efforts of our preaching team as they lead us back home every Sunday.
- Children’s Sunday School is held in the Parish Hall during the 9:00 AM service. The children rejoin the service during the Eucharist.
- Adult Bible Study is held in-person every 1st and 3rd Wednesday evening at 6:30PM after evening prayer.
- Online Evening Prayer is held every weeknight at 6:00 PM. On the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays, evening prayer is followed immediately by bible study.
- Saint Barnabas Chorus publishes This Week In Prayer, with service bulletins and recordings of the sung Daily Offices for Morning, Noon, Evening, and Compline.
Saint Barnabas is a PROUD member of the Episcopal Branch of the Jesus Movement: https://episcopalchurch.org
Saint Barnabas is located in the Diocese of Los Angeles: https://diocesela.org/
Every Third Friday of the Month
We prepare and serve dinner to the residents of Union Station Adult Center, 825 E. Orange Grove Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91104 every third Friday 6:00 – 8:30 PM. Join us!
Our Land Acknowledgement Statement
We acknowledge the traditional, ancestral, unceded territory of the Gabrielino-Tongva First Nation on which we are worshipping, praising and loving. We acknowledge that the land on which we gather is the territory of the Gabrielino-Tongva Peoples, who have stewarded this land throughout the generations. We thank them for their strength and resilience in protecting this land and aspire to uphold our responsibilities according to their proud tradition. To learn more and to support The Gabrielino-Tongva Nation please click here – http://gabrielino-tongva.com/
To The Gabrielino-Tongva Nation and all the Peoples of the Indigenous and Aboriginal Diaspora, we send Love, Saint Barnabas Style 🖤
You are hereby formally, officially and cordially invited to please join us during this our centennial year and beyond (in-person, online, offline and/or Pastoral Care), on our continuing journey of Love, Saint Barnabas Style 🖤